LOS ANGELES (AP) _ The operator of the shuttered San Onfore nuclear power plant submitted a draft plan to federal regulators Monday that could help pave the way to restart one of the twin reactors by summer.
The seaside plant between
``We are considering the proposed voluntary amendment as the best path to get Unit 2 safely up and running before the hottest months of the year hit our region,'' SCE President Ron Litzinger said in a statement.
Critics of the nuclear power industry say the plant is unsafe to operate at any power level and should be shut down permanently and dismantled.
Kendra Ulrich, a spokeswoman for Friends of the Earth, said in a statement the company was attempting to sidestep more thorough safety reviews that would require public hearings.
``This is not a footnote in a license as
The problems at San Onofre focus on its steam generators, which were installed in a $670 million overhaul in 2009 and 2010.
Last year, federal regulators blamed heavy tube wear in the generators on a botched computer analysis that they said badly misjudged how water and steam would flow in the reactors, along with manufacturing problems.
In earlier filings,
If approved, the license change could essentially eliminate the debate over the full power threshold.
Before a restart could take place, the company would also have to meet a series of steps the NRC outlined last year.
The future of the heavily damaged Unit 3 reactor, where the radiation leak occurred after a tube break last year, is not clear.
Decaying generator tubes helped push San Onofre's Unit 1 reactor into retirement in 1992, even though it was designed to run until 2004.
San Onofre is owned by SCE, San Diego Gas & Electric and the city of
Posted by David Perez