Local News

 

Jury Rejects Claims Over Anaheim Police Shooting

VIEW PHOTOS

SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — A Southern California jury has rejected claims in a lawsuit over a 2012 fatal shooting of a young man by Anaheim police that led to demonstrations.

The federal court jury found Thursday that the force used against Manuel Diaz was not excessive or unreasonable.

Humberto Guizar, the attorney for Diaz's mother, says there will be an appeal. The attorney says the lawsuit against the city of Anaheim and a police officer had been seeking damages of $3 million to $5 million.

Diaz was shot during an encounter in which police believed he had a weapon but he turned out to be unarmed. Police say he was a known gang member.

The killing led to a disturbance when a crowd swarmed police headquarters. A subsequent fatal shooting triggered further protests.

 

 

More Articles