Local News

 

Hand Sanitizers May Be Toxic

Hand Sanitizers May Be Toxic

Hand sanitizers may be toxic.

The big concern is triclosan, which is the main antibacterial ingredient in non-alcoholic sanitizers.

Research has shown that triclosan doesn't have any benefit, and may actually disrupt the endocrine system, possibly reducing muscle strength and harming the immune system.

Doctors at the Centers for Disease Control say triclosan-containing products don't provide any disease protection beyond what you get from washing with soap and water.

But they say alcohol-based sanitizers are effective and safe -- sanitizers with at least 60 percent alcohol are the best.

--Rob Archer

 

More Articles